- Graduate from high school with distinction, Athénée Emile Bockstael (Brussels)
- Bachelor in Computer Science with the greatest distinction, Université Libre de Bruxelles
- Master in Computer Science with the greatest distinction, Artificial Intelligence, Université Libre de Bruxelles (master thesis: Reinforcement Learning in Complex Environments: Evaluating Algorithms on Image Classification, promotor: Dr. Peter Vrancx)
- 2016- (future)
- PhD thesis, Improve Sample Efficiency of Reinforcement Learning in Markov Decision Processes by Discovering and Leveraging Structure in the Environment, Vrije Universiteit Brussel (promotors: Prof. Dr. Ann Nowé and Dr. Peter Vrancx)
Notable extra-curricular courses: Image Acquisition and Processing, Natural Language Processing, Digital Circuits Design
The Université Libre de Bruxelles and Vrije Universiteit Brussel are two distinct universities even if they have close ties and regularly collaborate on academic or scientific projects.
- Denis Steckelmacher and Peter Vrancx, An Empirical Comparison of Neural Architectures for Reinforcement Learning in Partially Observable Environments, 27th Benelux Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Universiteit Hasselt, 2015 (link)
- Artificial Intelligence
- Reinforcement Learning (hierarchical, partially observable environments, applied to classification), Neural Networks (recurrent and deep networks), Knowledge Representation, Big Data
- High-Performance Computing
- Microprocessor Architecture (design, hardware-software co-development, hardware-dependent software optimization), Logic Circuit Design (VHDL, fabrication technologies, experience with Xilinx Vivado), Compiler Design and Optimization Passes, Language Theory
I regularly mix my two main interests (Artificial Intelligence and High-Performance Computing) by developing high-performance, parallelized, distributed and optimized AI-related algorithms. In my master thesis, I describe a distributed Reinforcement Learning algorithm based on Q-Learning.
Projects and Experience
A more complete list of projects I worked on is available on this website.
- Peer-reviewed publication, see Publications above
- 3-months research internship at the Vrije Universiteit Brussel, COMO lab
- SuperBudget, online price comparator, experience as CIO/CTO in a startup
- Google Summer of Code, natural language parser for semantic search queries
- QtORM, available on Github, a feature-full C++ Object-Relational Mapper
- Google Summer of Code, OpenCL implementation built on top of the Clang compiler
- Toy x86_64 operating system with its own file-system, memory manager, thread scheduler and driver model